Thursday, January 04, 2007

 
My Little Library

Two years ago, my wife Linda bought a 50's looking hutch and put it in the living room. We began to put a few decorative items on it and in it.

Without any particular plan in mind, I have decided to put into the hutch a series of books from my childhood. Having the time to do it because your mother is off at Sears working, I've decided to write and tell you about the collection of books. So here goes.

Let me start by telling where I'm getting the books. Some of them are actually mine, that is they are roughly 50 years old. Others are books I've bought to serve the purpose of books I had 50 years ago.

As of now , I've not arranged the books in any particular order.

The first is actually four Little Golden Book titles - The Shy Little Kitten, Gene Autry, Puffy Plays Baseball, and Bugs Bunny and the Easter Party.
- The Shy Little Kitten - my Dad bought me this book and a cap at Weingaten’s grocery store. I had just got a burr haircut. The book was my idea. The hat was his. Burr haircuts were a fad. That was why I did it. I let it grow back and got a burr only once more in my life - when I joined the Corps of Cadets at A&M. You can see where I've put my name in the book and on the second page is a word circled. I did not know it. The word is paws. Someone, likely, has put stickers on the book.
- Gene Autry- I can't recall anything about it other than I was in the 1st grade when I got it.
- Puffy Plays Baseball is actually a Little Owl Book. I don't remember any of the circumstances around this but I do remember I liked the book. The story is about a small, unimpressive train that does something really important. In summary, what I've always thought about myself.
- Bugs Bunny and the Easter Party. The story in this book always scared me.
- (The Christmas Story – is missing. It was given to me by me Granny Jones.)%0

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?